Col. David S. Drichta is the Commander, 12th Operations Group, 12th Flying Training Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas. The group is responsible for introduction to fighter fundamentals student and instructor upgrade mission, as well as the Air Force’s only pilot instructor training, undergraduate remotely piloted aircraft pilot and sensor operator qualification programs. The group consists of five flying training squadrons and an operations support squadron with more than 350 flying instructors, 20 enlisted members, and 282 DoD civilians and contractors who collectively produce more than 1,100 graduates per year.
Colonel Drichta was commissioned in 1991 after graduating from the U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo. In 1992, he earned his wings from Euro/NATO joint jet pilot training, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas.
Colonel Drichta has served as an instructor in the T-37, and as instructor and flight examiner in the T-38 and F-15E. He was a flight commander as both an air liaison officer with the U.S. Army and as a fighter pilot in the F-15E. He flew in Operations Northern Watch and Enduring Freedom. He also served as Chief of Colonel Fighter Assignments at the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
1991 Bachelor of Science degree in human factors engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Joint Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala. by correspondence
2006 Master of Science degree in military arts and sciences, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2008 Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala. by correspondence
2014 Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. July 1991 – March 1993, student, 88th Flying Training Squadron, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. March 1993 – Nov 1994, T-37 instructor pilot and flight scheduler, 85th Flying Training Squadron, Laughlin AFB, Texas
3. November 1994 – March 1996, T-37 squadron programmer, 85th Flying Training Squadron, Laughlin AFB, Texas
4. March 1996 – July 1998, flight commander and Air Liaison Officer, 21st Air Support Operations Squadron, Fort Polk, La.
5. July 1998 – April 1999, F-15E student pilot, 4th Training Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
6. April 1999 – March 2000, assistant flight commander, 90th Fighter Squadron, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
7. March 2000 – May 2001, chief of Combat Readiness and Mobility, 90th Fighter Squadron, JBER, Alaska
8. May 2001 – February 2002, flight commander, 90th Fighter Squadron, JBER, Alaska
9. February 2002 – April 2002, Air Operations Center Interdiction Planner, 607th Combat Plans Squadron, Osan AB, South Korea
10. April 2002 – February 2003, chief of Air Operations Center Strategy Guidance, 607th Combat Plans Squadron, Osan AB, South Korea
11. February 2003 – August 2004, wing executive officer, 3d Wing, JBER, Alaska
12. August 2004 – June 2005, asst. operations officer and evaluator pilot, 90th Fighter Squadron, JBER, Alaska
13. June 2005 – June 2006, student, Army Command and Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
14. June 2006 – November 2008, chief of Colonel Fighter Assignments, Air Force-Wide Support, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
15. November 2008 – April 2010, Director of Operations, 435th Fighter Training Squadron, JBSA-Randolph, Texas
16. April 2010 – March 2012, Commander, 435th Fighter Training Squadron, JBSA-Randolph, Texas
17. March 2012 – November 2012, Commanders Action Group, 12th Flying Training Wing, JBSA-Randolph, Texas
18. November 2012 – June 2013, Deputy Commander, 12th Operations Group, JBSA-Randolph, Texas
19. June 2013 – June 2014 – student, Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
20. June 2014 – present, Commander, 12th Operations Group, JBSA-Randolph, Texas
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: more than 2,900
Aircraft flown: F-15E, T-38C and T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1991
First Lieutenant May 29, 1993
Captain May 29, 1995
Major March 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2007
Colonel October 1, 2012
(Current as of June 2014)